Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Up is up, right?

I've been looking into computer parts to upgrade my computer for a few weeks now.

Right now my computer is running:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3.2 GHz Dual core processor
4 GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel RAM (2x 2 GB sticks)
GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 Video card
160 GB Seagate hard drive (OS and system files)
750 GB Seagate hard drive (Programs and storage)
250 GB Seagate hard drive (Like.. Nothing)
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX Motherboard (Can support AM3)
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply
Cool Master Elite 335 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower computer case
1 120mm fan, stock CPU heatsink/fan
Along with the 3 hard drives in the computer, I also have a 1 TB external USB hard drive.

A good build for when I built it, a year ago. Even then, it wasn't state of the art. I had build it with the intention of upgrading it sooner than later, so I didn't get a lot of high end parts.

Now I want to upgrade the motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Here is what I've picked out:

AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz Quad core processor
8 GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel RAM (2x 4 GB sticks)
ASRock 870 Extreme3 AM3 AMD 870 ATX Motherboard*

*This may change.

This will end up costing about $260. I've already bought the RAM, mostly because it was on sale (was originally $90 before tax, got it for $60 after tax and free shipping).

Now I'm having an issue deciding on whether or not to actually upgrade the system. Right now I'm using it as a Linux server, running on it a Minecraft server, ventrilo server, and occasionally TF2 and Left 4 Dead 2 servers. Not much else is done on it.

I do have Windows 7 64-bit dual booted on it and I've been playing games on it, but my laptop seems to out-perform it graphic-wise.

So I'm not sure whether or not to go through with the upgrade. I already purchased the RAM, so I think I'll probably go through with it. If I do this, then my next upgrade will probably have nothing to do with the CPU or Motherboard. Most likely a future upgrade will be to add 4-8 more GBs of RAM, upgrade the graphics card, get a nicer case, maybe more fans/better heatsink, and then something like nice speakers or a headset.

Anyway, that's my dilemma. Like I said, I'll probably go through with it.

Another reason I'm hesitant to go through with this is I originally wanted this upgrade to separate the server and desktop computer parts of this one computer. In other words, I want to be able to build a server after upgrading this computer. With the way this upgrade is set up, I won't be able to do that for awhile. Parts I'm missing to do that include a power supply, a case, fans, graphics card, and more hard drives.

Any input would help, whether in the form of a comment on Google Buzz, on Blogspot, or even a facebook wall post or message. I'll keep you updated on what I decide on.

Also, I'm currently putting together a story, of sorts. When I have more details and I'm closer to finishing it, I'll post some of it here. It's going to be a lot like a comic books story, in that it includes "super" heroes, but right now it's leaning towards a Watchmen feel. Dark and more realistic than most comic books.. I mean, as realistic as it can get.

Anyway, that's all for now.

~Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment